Training institutions, like the IELTS review center in Cebu, were designed to help students acclimate to the intensive exam demands and acquire competency in using the English language. Aside from taking IELTS classes, it is also important to employ your own study mechanisms to elevate your chances of obtaining your score goals.
The Reward System
Experts recommend incorporating a reward system when studying. They say that it is one of the most effective techniques to motivate individuals to reach their desired outcome. The reward system is a planned and structured approach to reward people who have performed a desirable behavior or have accomplished a goal. For instance, students may opt to watch their favorite series after a week of intensive IELTS preparation.
Reward system is highly recommended by experts to stimulate people to perform better on tasks. However, just like any stimulus, it also has drawbacks. Read on and learn about the advantages and disadvantages of a reward system.
• Rewards increase productivity. They serve as motivation to perform better, thus driving students to push their limits and accomplish more than what is expected of them.
• Rewards motivate students to do their best. They serve as an inspiration, something to look forward to after successfully performing their tasks.
• Rewards enhance commitment to responsibilities. Students will keep their focus and become dedicated to the tasks at hand to make sure that only quality outputs are delivered.
• Rewards facilitate interest on tasks that students originally did not have an interest in. For instance, learning the English language can be burdensome at first. With the intervention of rewards, students develop their interest and dedication to learn.
• Reward system is only beneficial for short-term goals, such as finishing a practice test and obtaining score goals. As one’s goal increases, the reward should be maximized.
• Reward system can be distractive. In some instances, the students tend to focus more on the rewards, thus, taking their interest away from the subject matter that they need to learn.
• The drive to continue learning may stop once the reward has already been achieved. It can hamper performance in the future.
• Some students may become addicted to rewards that they cannot perform without them. In some instances, students lose their interest and drive to study.Individuals employ different learning techniques. To some people, the reward system may be beneficial while for some, it may be detrimental to their performance. The key is to be clear about your goals and develop the drive to learn with or without a reward. After all, achieving your goal is already a reward itself. Secure your IELTS goals with JRooz IELTS Review!
- "A Guide to Time Management." Breaks and Rewards - Time Management - University of Guelph. Accessed July 16, 2017. http://www.learningcommons.uoguelph.ca/guides/time_management/html/breaks_and_rewards.html.
- Howlin, Conor A. “The Merits of Using Reward Strategies in the Classroom and How to Maximize their Effectiveness.” Accessed July 17, 2017. http://www.ecwexford.ie/images/journal_issues/2015paper4.pdf
- Masum Hussain. "A Study on Incentives, Rewards and Benefits in an Organization." LinkedIn SlideShare. September 12, 2015. Accessed July 16, 2017. https://www.slideshare.net/masumhussain1650/benefits-and-rewards.
- McLeod, Saul. "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs." Simply Psychology. September 16, 2016. Accessed July 16, 2017. https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html.
- Ministry of Education, Guyana. "The Advantages of Rewards in the Classroom. " Accessed July 16, 2017. http://www.education.gov.gy/web/index.php/teachers/tips-for-teaching/item/2102-the-advantages-of-rewards-in-the-classroom.
- "Pros and Cons of Reward Systems for Primary Schools Infographic." E-Learning Infographics. November 16, 2015. Accessed July 16, 2017. http://elearninginfographics.com/pros-cons-reward-systems-primary-schools-infographic/.
- "Rewarding Students for Grades: Advantages and Disadvantages." Educational Connections. March 24, 2014. Accessed July 16, 2017. http://ectutoring.com/rewarding-students-grades-advantages-disadvantages.
The author works at an IELTS review center in Cebu City at the moment. She was once a computer instructor in CA. She likes to travel in numerous nations and loves photography.