Understanding and overcoming social anxiety is necessary as communication plays a crucial role in the development of an individual. Training in the review center for IELTS is an effective way to deal with apprehension and get support. Review sessions will expose you to different people. More importantly, instructors in the IELTS review center in Cebu will develop your confidence and competency in communicating.
What is social anxiety?
Social anxiety disorder or social phobia is the fear of being in situations where you are required to interact with other people. It is a physical fear that can hamper one’s activities. For instance, people suffering from social anxiety might show great fear in presenting their ideas in class, introducing themselves to other people, or even attending a gathering.
Social anxiety is a disorder that affects millions of people. According to a report released by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), in the United States alone, 6.8% of the population is suffering from social anxiety.
How can you fight social anxiety?Combatting social anxiety is important especially if you are taking classes in the review center for IELTS. You need to work on your communication skills as a practice for your journey abroad. More importantly, you need to improve your speaking skills. Listed below are ways to help you fight social anxiety.
• Program yourself to relaxFight social anxiety and discover the wonders of engaging in social interactions. Develop your communication skills with JRooz IELTS Review Center in Cebu.
Self-programming is essential in helping you overcome your fears. Keep in mind that worrying about future social interactions will only worsen the situation. Instead, imagine yourself feeling and looking relaxed and confident. Do this repeatedly so that your body and mind will form a better association to these kinds of situations.
• Engage in social interactions
Confining yourself to your usual routine only increases anxiety. This is the reason engaging in social interactions can be burdensome for people who have always been avoiding them. It makes you more anxious and tense, thus lowering your confidence level. Engage in conversations little by little. Join peer-review sessions or participate in seminars that expose you to people and oblige you to talk.
• Examine your surroundings
Focusing on themselves is one of the biggest things that hold back people with social anxiety. Take a look at your surroundings when you are in social situations. Focusing outward lowers anxiety and keeps you from dealing with your apprehensions.
• Eliminate your safety behaviors
What are your usual routines when you are in a social situation? Safety behaviors are actions that make people feel safer or less likely to embarrass themselves in social situations. Identify your safety behaviors—i.e. avoiding eye contact, talking very fast, holding yourself stiffly, etc.—and eliminate them. Be carefree and challenge your anxious thoughts.
- Carabonell, David. "How Social Anxiety Disorder Tricks You." Anxiety Coach. Accessed July 11, 2017. http://www.anxietycoach.com/socialanxietydisorder.html.
- "Facts & Statistics." Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA. Accessed July 11, 2017. https://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics.
- Leahy, Robert L. "How to Overcome Your Social Anxiety." Psychology Today. October 20, 2014. Accessed July 11, 2017. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/anxiety-files/201410/how-overcome-your-social-anxiety.
- "Overcoming Fear and Social Anxiety." Improve Your Social Skills. Accessed July 11, 2017. http://www.improveyoursocialskills.com/foundations/overcoming-social-anxiety.
- Tartkovsky, Margarita. "6 Ways to Overcome Social Anxiety." Psych Central. July 17, 2016. Accessed July 11, 2017. https://psychcentral.com/lib/6-ways-to-overcome-social-anxiety/.
- Tyrell, mark. "7 Techniques for Overcoming Social Phobia." Uncommon Help. Accessed July 11, 2017. http://www.uncommonhelp.me/articles/overcoming-social-phobia/.
- “Why Anxiety Causes a Fear of Talking.” Calm Clinic. Accessed July 11, 2017. http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/fear-of-talking.
The author works at an IELTS review center in Cebu City at the moment. She was once a computer instructor in CA. She likes to travel in numerous nations and loves photography.