The IELTS review center in Cebu, for instance, utilizes the advanced training materials and up-to-date mock tests to help their students acclimate to the demands of the exam. Moreover, as former test takers themselves, the instructors in the IELTS review center in Cebu know the language evaluation enough to provide effective tips and tricks on how to handle its more complicated parts.
One of the things that IELTS review center teachers discuss is the proper usage of punctuation. As elementary as a topic as it is, many exam takers still commit mistakes about the correct application of various reference marks. This is because not all test takers take the time to review them. To stave off this problem, IELTS review center coaches include punctuation lecture recaps in their programs.
The Period: Functions and Locations
As the most basic punctuation in the English language, the period is used to complete a declarative sentence and an imperative sentence. For example:
I would like to get a job abroad. I decided to take the IELTS test to pursue my dream. I studied in an IELTS review center to prepare for the examination.Sounds easy enough right? So how can test takers make mistakes when using the period? Simple, they commit missteps in their placement of the punctuation mark. Here are the most common errors that people do when using the period and how to avoid them.
1. If the passage enclosed in a parenthesis is located inside - or is part of - a sentence, the period should be placed outside of the parenthesis.Integrate the punctuation rules mentioned above in your IELTS preparation activities. Keep in mind that these are only some of the rules that govern the period. Take IELTS review center classes to find out more about these reference marks.
WRONG: Mila came to the dinner table after just two calls from her mother. Tonight's meal was beef stew after all (her favorite.)
RIGHT: Mila came to the dinner table after just two calls from her mother. Tonight's meal was beef stew after all (her favorite).
2. If the passage enclosed in the parenthesis is a complete and independent sentence, the period should be placed inside of the parenthesis.
WRONG: Tonight's meal was beef stew. (It is Mila's favorite dish). This is probably the reason she came down from her room just after two calls from her mother.
RIGHT: Tonight's meal was beef stew. (It is Mila's favorite dish.) This is probably the reason she came down from her room just after two calls from her mother.
3. When using the period in relation to a quotation, always place the punctuation inside the closing quotation mark.
WRONG: He said, "Please take my umbrella with you, it's pouring outside".
RIGHT: He said, "Please take my umbrella with you, it's pouring outside."
- “Period.” Grammarly. Accessed May 16, 2017. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/20895/
- “Period Punctuation Rules.” Ginger Software. Accessed May 16, 2017. http://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/use-period-correctly/
The author works at an IELTS review center in Cebu City at the moment. She was once a computer instructor in CA. She likes to travel in numerous nations and loves photography.