Mentors in an IELTS review center in Cebu encourage their students to read academic- or business-related texts. Doing so familiarizes them to the tone, style and development of these works, which is essential should they be required to take the IELTS Academic exam.
Keep in mind that readers of academic and business writing are scholars (e.g., professors) or professionals—or the IELTS examiner. Thus, if you are tasked to produce one, whether in school or in the workplace, you should make sure it is not only comprehensible but also accurate.
In crafting an effective write-up, here are some things that you should consider:
• Content – The content should be accurate, and each point should be accompanied by evidence. Take time to research about your sources of information, such as the author and his/her background. Make sure that these sources are credible, relevant and up-to-date.
• Structure/Format – The basic format is composed of an introduction, a body and a conclusion.
o In the introduction, provide a brief background about the issue. State the importance of your work. For instance, describe the significance of addressing the issue and the possible effects if neglected. You may also include the objectives of the study.
o Discuss how you will gather data in the body. This is also where you interpret results and formulate arguments or counterarguments.
o Reiterate your points in the conclusion. Provide insights or recommendations that may serve as a reference for future studies.
o Then again, some research studies require a more specific or detailed format. The challenge is to ensure that the ideas are logically arranged and coherent. Instructors in IELTS review centers in Cebu emphasize the importance of producing an intelligible response, especially in the Writing component of the exam.
• Language and Style – This is more than just checking if the sentences are clear and if the write-up, in general, maintains an objective tone. For the language part, ensure that concepts are clearly explained, and check if the sentences or paragraphs are logically arranged. Choose the most appropriate pattern to use in developing your paper—cause and effect, comparison and contrast, problem-solution, narration, argumentation, to name a few.
• Citations – It is important to include citations in your works. Keep in mind that your readers are scholars or professionals. They are probably familiar with your references. To avoid committing, or being accused of, plagiarism, cite your sources properly. You may use the American Psychological Association, Modern Language Association, Chicago Manual Style or Turabian, depending on the field you are writing about. During the IELTS exam, the examiner will not actually require you to employ a particular citation style in your essay. However, it is recommended that if you plan to include a factual or conclusive statement, you must at least mention your source (e.g., according to The New York Times or based on a report that I have read from The Economist).
Regardless of your purpose of moving to an English-speaking country, it is highly recommended that you are able to compose letters, craft responses, express opinions and interpret visual information, among others. Mastery of these skills increases your chances of getting accepted in a university or hired in a company.
- Gillett, Andy. "Features of Academic Writing." UEFAP. Accessed January 18, 2017. http://www.uefap.com/writing/feature/featfram.htm.
- ―――. "Features of Academic Writing: Explicitness." UEFAP. Accessed January 18, 2017. http://www.uefap.com/writing/feature/explicit.htm.
- “Organizing Your Social Sciences Research Paper: Academic Writing Style.” University of Southern California. September 20, 2016. Accessed January 18, 2017. http://libguides.usc.edu/writingguide/academicwriting.
- "Developing an Argument." Birmingham City University. Accessed September 22, 20 January 18, 201716. http://library.bcu.ac.uk/learner/writingguides/1.15.htm.
he author works at an IELTS review center in Cebu City at the moment. She was once a computer instructor in CA. She likes to travel in numerous nations and loves photography.