Monday, November 28, 2016

Common Questions in the IELTS Speaking Exam

 Familiarity with the questions is a popular secret that every IELTS test candidate knows. To be very good at speaking, IELTS training expose students to a variety of questions. Why do I know this? Simply because I am a successful IELTS test candidate who got a score of 8.0 in my Speaking test. People say I got lucky, but I tell them it is all because of my IELTS review center.

ielts review center

I was in Cebu when I prepared for the IELTS test. The IELTS review center I was in was known in the city, so I decided to join their program. During lectures, I was surprised with the number of questions they had prepared in class. For three hours, we were answering a variety of questions on different topics. I told myself that this was too exhausting. However, I realized that this was the best practice to be familiar with the questions as we got to listen to everyone answering them. We gained ideas on how to answer questions and even learned from each other’s mistakes.

Since I want to help other IELTS candidates to get a good score in the speaking test, here are common speaking questions I learned from the IELTS training I had a few months ago. Below are sample answers that my instructors commended as very bright responses.

Task 1

Q: Do you work or study?
A: I am currently working as a psychiatric nurse in a government hospital in the city. I have been working for three years now.

Q: Is there much to do in your hometown?
A: I grew up in a rural area. There is nothing much to do in my hometown; however, it is the best place to get away from the busy and stressful life in the city. There is a place in my hometown where you could see all the fields. It looks perfect during sunsets.

Q: Are you good at managing your time?
A: To be honest, I am not that good at managing my own time. For instance, I procrastinate a lot and that results to more work to be done.

Task 2

Describe a present you have given someone.
You should say:
Who you gave it to
What kind of present it was
How it compared to other presents you have given
Explain why you decided to give this particular gift.

I would like to describe a present I gave to my mother for her birthday. Last year, I gave my mother a new phone for her birthday. She was using a very old phone, so I decided to get her a new one. I was hesitant at first since my mom does not like spending too much, but she deserves to get a new one. Among the presents I have given her, I should say that this is by far the most expensive one. She was really happy when she got the new phone that she asked me to transfer her sim to the phone. I was very pleased to see my mother enjoying her new phone.

Describe a happy childhood event.
You should say:
When it happened
Who was involved
How you felt at the time
Explain why you remember this particular occasion.

I will tell you about a happy memory during my childhood. I can remember how happy I was when I had my first camping. I was in fourth grade when my parents allowed me to join camping with my friends. Ten of my friends decided to have camping in a nearby forest, and everyone was excited with this. We planned everything and made sure not to miss anything so that we could all have fun. The camping was only for a night, but everyone had a great time. This was very memorable since it was the first time I spent a night away from home with friends where we stayed up all night telling stories and playing games.

Task 3

Q: What kinds of possessions give status to people in your country?
A: This is a very good question. I think that there are quite a number of things that give status to people in my country. First of all, I think driving a nice car symbolizes wealth in my country. People drive cars but not everyone can afford a good one. Luxury brands show that someone comes from a rich family. Also, your own address can give you good status. What I mean is that when you come from an exclusive village, then you must be a very wealthy person or someone from a rich family.

Q: Do you think advertising influences what people buy?
A: Personally, advertising is very influential when it comes to consumers’ decision. For instance, when I want to buy a watch, I am interested in buying since I saw it in the magazine or on TV. Because of the features advertised, I am enticed to search for the product and make a decision to buy it or not. Also, when a product is poorly advertised, then most consumers would disregard it to be a good product.

Q: How do most people travel long distances in your country?
A: Hmm… in the Philippines, when people have to travel, say from Cebu to Manila, they would have to take a plane because of its distance. Most people travel long distances via air since it is convenient and plane tickets nowadays are way much cheaper than before.

These are some of the questions that my instructors in the IELTS review center in Cebu practiced with me. It would be a good choice to use these questions while preparing for the test.

For best review results, I highly recommend investing in IELTS training as instructors can guide you and give feedback on how well you can perform better for the test.




The author works at an IELTS review center in Cebu City at the moment. She was once a computer instructor in CA. She likes to travel in numerous nations and loves photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment