According to a recent study, Australia and the United Kingdom are common destinations where most Filipinos fly for work or studies. This is not that surprising knowing both countries have great demands for Filipino nurses and other skilled work. Though finding opportunities in these countries have become easier, let us not forget the amount of paperwork Filipinos have to comply for their visa applications. One requirement Filipinos have to be prepared for is taking an English fluency examination.
An English fluency examination evaluates how well an individual can use the English language – this is what the IELTS or the International English Language Testing System examination. The IELTs is a requirement for visa applications in countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and even the United Kingdom. Since Filipinos are already accustomed to using the English language, it is just natural to assume that they can ace the examination. This may be true to some; however, every Filipino candidate for the IELTS is encouraged to take necessary preparation before taking the examination. Here are some tips on how Filipinos can get ready for the examination.
- Despite the busy work schedule, it is important to know information about the IELTS. There are two authorized agencies that administer the exam – British Council and IDP. Essential facts and details about the examination can be read on their websites. Checking both will help you understand the purpose of the examination. Visit them at www.britishcouncil.ph and www.idp.com.
- Read blogs online about the examination. There are lots of good reads on the web that explains and details about the IELTS. Different tips and strategies are even explained for candidates to take the exam more conveniently and easily.
- Knowing the sub-tests are important. Speaking, reading, listening and writing – these are the sub-tests where the candidates are evaluated. It is essential to know what the different question types are in each sub-test. This makes it easier for the candidates to respond to questions and even know their strengths and weaknesses in the examination.
- Review for the exam about three months before your desired test date. This amount of time is already enough for you to get prepared for the examination. Of course, the three months should be used for reviewing religiously. You have to get focused on studying for the exam as you have target overall band scores to hit for your applications. Use the first month for adjusting with the level of difficulty of the exam, the next month for improving your skills and the last for honing your English skills.
- Be exposed with the English language as much as possible. Though Filipinos are good at English, we are more exposed with the American English vocabulary. The IELTS also uses Australian and British English vocabulary. Read more on vocabulary that are used in both. Also, take advantage of the many English reading materials in your house. Learning to enjoy reading is a good practice and the best way to learn vocabulary.
- Enroll in an IELTS review center. What is good about these review centers is the fact that they have speaking coaches. Filipinos have to develop their confidence more in speaking English. Also, these coaches are good in giving comments on points to improve on one’s skill.
Filipinos are sure to hit their target scores for the IELTS. Known to be hardworking individuals, Filipinos study even harder to be successful in taking the IELTS test.